Hola! I am Sara
Saru, Saruchi... that is how my close friends and family call me. I was born in the south of Tenerife in 1996. After moving around, first to Wales and afterwards to Italy, then back to Wales. I am back here now, in my windy little village.
I graduated in Illustration at Swansea College of Art in 2017. In 2019, I graduated with an MA in Children's Book Illustration at Ars in Fabula, Macerata.
When I was a little girl I loved books more than anything in the world. I remember sitting on my bed in the evenings and finishing my books in one go. I loved the illustrations by Cicely Mary Barker on my fairy books (I was obsessed with fairies for a very long time and used to investigate to prove that they were real. Sadly, I never found any evidence of it). Up until then, I was sure I wanted to be a writer, or an editor, as I couldn't imagine anything better for me. However, a series of magical books landed on my hands, I was amazed by the colourful and magic illustrations, I started drawing its characters and after that making my own. I discovered that there was something better for me than just writing or reading, it was reading the stories in order to create a world for them. This is how I slowly entered into the world of illustration.
My favourite things to do, when I am not drawing, are:
* Swimming in the sea. I am a little bit scared of lakes, I always imagine creatures catching my feet from under the water. Not in the sea though, the sea is my friend.
* Baking, although most times it doesn't go according to plan.
* Reading. I particularly love poetry, although I also like books with plenty of mysteries, a touch of magic, secrets and history. I also love children's books, of course.
* Sitting in coffee shops to sketch (fine, maybe this counts as drawing too...)
* Wandering through old towns and villages and imagining the stories of the people who lived there in the past.
I have been lucky enough to work with clients such us Diego Pun Ediciones, Matt Hampson Foundation and Instituto Canario de Igualdad.
Currently, I am also developing my own stories to turn into picture books. I am trying to make the kind of thing that little me would have loved most.
Thank you for passing by, I hope to see you again!
Speak to you soon,